Please join The Children’s Cancer Foundation, Inc. (CCF) and the CCF Scientific Advisory Board for the 2nd Annual Symposium. The focus this year, “New Drugs for New Cures”, will identify latest strategies for treating sarcomas, embryonal tumors, brain tumors and leukemia.
The goal of this symposium is to bring regional experts (including nurses, doctors, therapists, etc.), advocates, and trainees together to advance the care of childhood cancer. We strongly encourage the participation of students and fellows. This is a great opportunity for trainees to get a sense of regional work in childhood cancer.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
While the program is largely suited for those in the oncology field (researchers, doctors, nurses, hospital advocates and coordinators), CCF hopes that patients, families, caregivers and the community-at-large will feel welcome to attend. Speakers are asked to present their topics in a way that both supporters of CCF’s work and oncology experts can engage in meaningful discussion following each presentation.
CAN I SUBMIT AN ABSTRACT?
Trainees are encouraged to participate by submitting abstracts. Novel abstracts, as well as those presented at national conferences, are welcome. Poster boards will be available to post and share one’s work during breaks and during the post-talk reception. We will be flexible with poster size to accommodate posters from other conferences. Two abstracts will be selected for short talks in addition to the poster presentation. Abstracts must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than May 15, 2017.
Welcome and Introduction
MORNING SESSION: SARCOMAS
9:50 a.m.-12 noon
- Aerang Kim, M.D., Children’s National Health System: Clinical overview of Ewing sarcoma and NF1 cancers
- Noah Grove, college-bound former patient
- Aykut Uren, M.D., Georgetown University: CD99 inhibition with small molecules in Ewing sarcoma
- Jeffrey A. Toretsky, M.D., Georgetown University: Combination of Vincristine with YK-4-279 in Ewing sarcoma
- Christine A. Pratilas, M.D., Johns Hopkins Hospital: NF1 Associated Cancers
- Selected talk from submitted abstracts
12 noon-12:30 p.m.
Introduction of Dr. Reaman and the topic of New Drugs
Presentation by Greg Reaman, M.D., Associate Director of Oncology Sciences, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, U.S. Food and Drug Administration
AFTERNOON SESSION: EMBRYONAL TUMORS AND LEUKEMIAS
2:00 – 4:30 p.m.
- Brigitte Widemann, M.D., National Cancer Institute, NIH: New Agents Overview
- Erica DeMille, parent advocate for her son, Tyler
- Patrick Brown, M.D., Ph.D., Johns Hopkins Hospital: Inhibition of Kinases in Leukemia
- Eric Raabe, M.D., Ph.D., Johns Hopkins Hospital: New Therapies for Medulloblastoma
- Jeffrey Rubens, M.D., Ph.D., Johns Hopkins Hospital: Brain Tumors
- Mona Elmacken, M.D., Children’s National Medical Center: New Neuroblastoma Targets
- Selected talk from submitted abstracts
RECEPTION AND POSTER SESSION
CCF thanks the following for making this symposium possible:
Jeffrey Toretsky, M.D., Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center
and CCF Scientific Advisory Board Chair
CCF Scientific Advisory Board Members
- Amal M. Abu-Ghosh, M.D., Sinai Hospital
- Patrick Brown , M.D., The Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Jeffrey Dome, M.D., Ph.D., Children’s National Health System
- Young Kwok, M.D., University of Maryland Medical Center
- Donald L. Trump, M.D., Inova Schar Cancer Institute
- Aykut Uren, M.D., Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Brigitte Widemann, M.D., National Cancer Institute
Continental breakfast, lunch, and reception refreshments will be provided during this event courtesy of Giant Food.
How to Register
While the cost to attend is FREE, we request that you register to ensure room capacity and food quantity. Your name will be on a list at the door and you will be able to add up to five colleagues on your registration form.
CCF will be able to accommodate on-site registration if there are last minute additions or changes.
Please contact us with any questions about the symposium or how to register.
We look forward to seeing you on June 7th!